Dompeter church and St Ulrichs'chapel from Avolsheim
The church of Dompeter
Considered to be the oldest church of Alsace, it is known that it was devoted by the Alsatian pope Leon IX between 1049 and 1053 whereas the legend would date it back to the end of the Roman empire or to the first centuries of Christendom.
Excavations in 1914 revealed traces of a building dated from the VIIth century. Of Romance style, it was rebuilt on the same plan to the XIth century but was increased. The church has sudden transformations during the following centuries of which most important is the rebuilding of the tower, destroyed partly by the lightning in 1746.
The thousand-years-old tree at the entrance of the church died at the beginning of this century.
The St. Ulrich Chapel
The internal frescoes, the dominant colors of which are the red, the green and the ochre, from the XIIth century. They divide up on three levels.