A former Episcopal and university town, and the cradle of Bugatti cars, Molsheim has inherited a rich past.
It is the most impressive remnant of the city wall. It was erected at the beginning of the 14th century and had a drawbridge that spanned the water-filled moat and portcullis, part of which can still be seen today. During the 17th century, two buildings were adjoined to the wall on either side of the Gate: the house of the toll-booth attendant on the left and the guard-room on the right. Under the roof of the Gate is a magnificent 4-tonne bell, melted in 1412 by Master André de Colmar from the former St Georges church that used to stand on the "Place du Marché" (the Market Square).
The Butchers' House
The Powder Keg
Several pieces of ordnance indicate the presence of the old Powder Keg, which was built to store the weapon and ammunition of the Middle Classes. Today this forms one of the remains of the boundary wall and fortifications.
Erected in Molsheim in 1906 by Maximilien Metzenthin, the building is in neo-renaissance style. The Court room, which is an extension of the building, dates from the same period, as does the old prison located at the back, which is now a dwelling house.
The home of a noble military family. This manor owes its name to two cousins of Baroness Oberkirch.
Once under the control of General Jean François Barbier, it is now a private residence.
This building occupies the site of an old coin workshop, founded in 1573 and demolished in 1722, to make room for the Bishop's Treasury. The present building was used, in turn, as a hardware factory by Ets J. Coulaux, a barracks for the Army and a place for processing tobacco. The restoration between 1972 and 1978 allowed the town to have two vaults (Coulaux and Bugatti) and a large room on the first floor (Manderscheidt) for receptions, general assemblies and exhibitions.