This 13th century castle was built on solid rock. To the North was a keep, behind which were located the lodging houses and outbuildings. A surrounding wall with a semicircular bastion were added later on.
The stronghold was destroyed in 1338 by Bishop Berthold de Buchegg, who was held captive there for several months.
The castle is situated a few kilometers after town exit, towards Wangenbourg but before the Nideck, on the right side, at an altitude of 440 m (1,444 ft).