Garden of the lapidary at the Collegiate church St. Florrentius

To the North, is a monumental graveyard, adjacent to the front wall of the collegiate church. This was the final resting place of the canons and the local gentry.
Facing East and West as per medieval precepts, the tombstones stayed stuck in the ground until the Abbot Kramer had them lined up along the wall in 1854, before the collegiate church was renovated. Among these gravestones from the 14th and 16th centuries, we can see some coats of arms, in particular those belonging to Albert de Hohenstein (ca. 1335) and Gisela de Greifenstein (ca. 1326), the wife of Anselm de Hohenstein. The grave of Nicolas Dutschmann can also be seen here, with its bull-shaped crested helm sigil.
Not far from there, in a depository, lays a recumbent statue from the 14th century (a lying figure in a niche, decorated by a Gothic style arch).
On the wall is a beautiful bas-relief depicting Jesus Christ on the Mount of Olives (1492). Remnants of polychromy can be spotted on these carvings, which are among the oldest still remaining in Alsace.
  • Date

    Dates

    • All year 2021 daily.
  • Car park

    • Nearest train station: Urmatt
    • Distance (km): 3 Km
Garden of the lapidary at the Collegiate church St. Florrentius
Place de l'église
67280 Niederhaslach

Contacter

Skip to content