This 13th century castle was built on solid rock. To the North was a keep, behind which were located the lodging houses and outbuildings. A surrounding wall with a semicircular bastion were added later on.
The stronghold was destroyed in 1338 by Bishop Berthold de Buchegg, who was held captive there for several months.
The castle is situated a few kilometers after town exit, towards Wangenbourg but before the Nideck, on the right side, at an altitude of 440 m (1,444 ft).
  • Opening times

    • Free access
  • Price

    • Entrée libre
  • Car park

    • Temps de marche (min) du parking jusqu'au site 20
    • Nearest train station: Urmatt
    • Distance (km): 12 Km
6033ad0f0940f_animaux bleuC
Ruins Castle Hohenstein
Route du Nideck RD 218
67280 Oberhaslach

Contacter

Ruins Castle Hohenstein

Voir la fiche >
Skip to content